Sunday, January 28, 2007

a most interesting eid incident (late post)

as you can imagine eid is the most demoralizing time of year for a lonely vegeterian
and this one was no exception , i woke up early to study and consequently spent most of the morning trying to block out the frantic bleating of frightened sheep . anyhow the butcher comes up with our meat neatly organized into the one kilo bags + 0ur own portion which also contains various parts of sheeps innards , my grandma starts inspecting the contents of this bag of delights

Grandma : that thief he took the makhasy !

me : (puzzled by this intrigueing organ) whats the makhasy grandma ?

grandma : ummmm I don't know the word in english , ask your father

dad : its the testicles

me : whhhhhhaaaat ! surely you dont eat it

dad: i certainly dont!

grandma : its delicious . your great uncle S always makes sure that the butcher gives him the makhasy . he cries if he doesnt get it

yes apparently i have relatives who delight in the consumption of sheep testicles . an ingredient probably used by the witches in macbeth for auguring and cursing
it is a terrible thing to contemplate and i was too afraid to ask if they consider it as an aphrodisiac of some sort .
I also realised my arabic vocabulary is lacking in rather key anatomical terms which is an even worse thing to contemplate .
at any rate I don't think i can look at great uncle S again without sniggering

2 comments:

Sou said...

Testicles?!!! I thought eating sheep brains was as far as it went!

Hebe said...

isnt it alarming